Open Universities Australia (OUA)
Open Universities Australia delivers tertiary education to all Australians, regardless of age, background or location. Universities around Australia participate in the Open Universities program and offer a wide range of units/modules. These universities are called 'provider institutions'. Charles Darwin University enables undergraduate students to access appropriate Open Universities units in their courses.
- OUA Units for CDU Students
- OUA Units for NON CDU Students
Charles Darwin University and Open Universities Australia
Charles Darwin University has an agreement with Open Universities so undergraduate students can study Open Universities units as part of their Charles Darwin University degree (under this agreement you cannot obtain a degree through Open Universities alone).
- Charles Darwin University handles the administration and support facilities
- Students pay the standard HECS fee through Charles Darwin University for any unit taken and are bound by HECS rules
- Students pay the standard Charles Darwin University amenities fees
- Students must make all contacts through Charles Darwin University (either through the faculty student advisor or through the ESS.
- Students are bound by Charles Darwin University rules and procedures
- Open Universities has four 'study periods' each year (beginning at the end of February, May, August and November).
The Open Universities process at a glance
- Students enrol in an Open Universities unit with Charles Darwin University's Student Services. The units are coded with an L- preceding the normal Open Universities unit code
- Open Universities relevant provider institution sends the learning material package direct to the student if applicable together with any relevant information for online access
- Students submit assessments directly to the provider institution. They are marked accordingly and returned directly to the student
- If you are expecting printed materials and you have not received by the week prior to the beginning of the study period, please contact the External Student Support Open Universities Officer
- Open Universities exams are handled by Open University’s Exam Services.
- At the end of the study period the provider institution sends you a record of your grade. Charles Darwin University provides your official academic record, which will include your Open Universities grades at the end of each semester. Please note grades do not become available until eight weeks after the end of each study period
- Contact the External Student Support Open Universities Officer if you have any queries regarding your results.
Open Universities enrolment
Any changes to your enrolment must be done through your faculty at Charles Darwin University (CDU) before the CDU-OUA census date. You cannot defer or withdraw from your study through the OUA office or the provider institution.
Changes to enrolment for Open Universities units
Students can withdraw from a unit up until Close of Enrolment and receive a full refund. Students can then withdraw up until the Census Date of each study period and receive a refund for the unit cost but will incur a withdrawal fee. After the Census Date, students will not receive a refund for the unit cost.
- Students undertaking OUA units through CDU must withdraw through Charles Darwin University. External Student Support will then notify your provider institution. Withdrawing either through OUA, or the provider will not be reflected on your Charles Darwin University academic record and could result in a fail grade.
HECS students cannot defer from a unit of study, therefore deferment is not available for CDU-OUA students. Contact External Student Support if you are having problems during your study period to explore your options. Provider institutions may give inappropriate advice because your enrolment status is different from general OUA students.
- Change of details
If any of your circumstances change while you are studying with OUA please contact the External Student Support Open Universities Officer.
OUA textbooks: Unibooks is the exclusive supplier of OUA textbooks.
Library services: Please contact the library at the relevant provider university. Readings are now being placed more frequently on their E-Reserve sites. Alternatively you may find some relevant items in the CDU library.
Open Universities handbook: Outlines all units and programs of study are currently available through OUA. Please note that of the rules and procedures published in the OUA handbook do not apply to CDU students who are studying Open Universities units. You can access all units outlines from the OUA website.
Visit the Open Universities Australian website.
Information for Open Universities students studying Charles Darwin University units.
Charles Darwin University units offered through OUA
- Contested Knowledges ABR13
- Indonesian Studies 1A IND11
- Indonesian Studies 1B IND12
- Indonesian Studies 2A IND21
- Indonesian Studies 2B IND22
- Yolngu Language and Culture 1 ABY11
- Yolngu Language and Culture 2 ABY21
- Special Project in Yolngu Language and Culture ABY35
Modes of Study
Some units will have some on-line presence through Learnline or unit specific site. Details on how to access online learning will be included in your study materials. You may also be advised to submit assignments electronically via a Learnline site. Please read assignment submission details carefully.
Print-based units will include print based study materials which will be posted to you prior to the commencement of study.
The External Student Support Office manages enrolments, materials dispatch, assignments and release of grades to Open Universities at the end of each study period.
Phone: 08 8946 6483
Fax in Australia: 08 8946 6549
Fax from Overseas: +61 8 8946 6549
OUA students studying CDU subjects may use Distance Library Services or, if living within 80km of a Campus Library, may join as a Reciprocal borrower. OUA students studying CDU subjects can login to databases and E Reserve. Contact External Student Support for your password.
Defer from Study
Please note that deferrals are not available to OUA students. This is in line with higher education providers in Australia. This means that a student enrolled in a study period, cannot stop and start the unit again in another study period without paying the unit fee again.
Withdraw from a unit
If you wish to withdraw please contact Open Universities before the census date of the relevant study period. Students can withdraw from a unit up until Close of Enrolment and receive a full refund. Students can then withdraw up until the Census Date of each study period and receive a refund for the unit cost but will incur a withdrawal fee. After the Census Date, students will not receive a refund for the unit cost.
Please note some CDU dates may differ to Open Universities dates.
Information for CDU students studying Open Universities Units